QuickBooks Error: 80070057
Message: the parameter is incorrect or You do not have sufficient permissions
This error: 80070057 can be encountered while you are using QuickBooks in a Multi-user environment and try to access the company files.
Error – 80070057 ( incorrect parameter )
This means that you don’t have enough permissions granted to delete files in a particular folder. In order to use a multi-user environment, you must have read/write as well as delete/create permissions for the company file folder.
Now the question arises about issues causing this error:-
- You must be opening company file directly instead of opening it in QuickBooks.
- You are trying to open a company file that is stored in a redirect system and the system is not connected to the internet.
- The third-party firewall being used in your computer is not configured for QuickBooks and restricting the use.
- BitDefender is being used by you on your computer which blocks the ports used by QuickBooks.
- In the case file is saved in an external drive or a USB drive than before using it save it locally on the system.
- If the error is encountered while installing QuickBooks then reinstall using a new setup file freshly downloaded.
Follow these steps to resolve the error:-
Run QuickBooks as an Administrator
- Close QuickBooks.
- Apply right click on QuickBooks icon on the desktop.
- Click on Run as administrator.
Open QuickBooks Company File inside QuickBooks Application
QuickBooks company file is designed to be opened in QuickBooks only and not by directly double clicking on it-
- Open the QuickBooks application.
- In case of the company, the file is not launching by itself browse company file in QuickBooks and click on Open.
Save Company file locally if on an external drive
- Go to the external location where the company file is saved and copy that file.
- Browse to the company file folder on C:/drive that is a by default location and paste company file.
Update QuickBooks to the latest release
Download QuickBooks again and install it again after uninstalling the older one.
Use QuickBooks File Doctor
Download file doctor by QuickBooks and run it on your computer. After the process is completed open company file again in QuickBooks.
Resolve QuickBooks Error: 80070057 manually
- Browse to the company file folder and open it.
- Look for the file ending with the extension of .nd and having the name of the company file.
- Rename the file by applying right click on it and selecting rename option.
- At the end of the name type in CRASH
- Now rescan the file by using the QuickBooks database manager.
- Press windows key on your keyboard and on search bar enter QuickBooks database manager.
- Click on add folder.
- Choose the default company file folder and press ok.
- Click on the scan.
- After the file is scanned try to open it in QuickBooks.
Configure the firewall
- To know how to configure the firewall, go through this post- Fixing Firewall and Network Issues.
- In case any third party firewall is being used then please contact Support for your firewall or consult QuickBooks Technician for help at- 1800-470-6903.
BitDefender Configuration to allow QuickBooks
- From the main menu of Bitdefender click on Antivirus.
- Choose a Custom level and select Exclude path from the scan.
- Click on the new Item.
- Choose UNC path or mapped drive that you are going to use for company file.