Answered: Your Most Burning Questions about QuickBooks error the file exists
If you opening up the QuickBooks and it is continuously showing up the message of error for “the file Exist” then it is probably because the file might be opened in another program or used by another program or it is a read-only file. In all of these cases, it will show you a window error “the file exists”.
There are two ways suggested by QuickBooks expert and QuickBooks user to solve the issue. The first one is not the actual solution but an easy way to get out of trouble. Check out the instruction below for solution.
Whenever you are opening the payroll portal or it is updating to install the payroll or anything Is missing from the system a message prompt on the window. This file error can be resolved by simply ignoring it. It is not a real solution but many users have reported that in this way. The error popup stating window error “the file Exists” goes away on its own. It usually happens because a new window is installed on the computer. Much user has solved out this issue by again installing the window 2017 and newer editions.
This solution is suggested by the experts and they have described some of the issues when this pop up appears. As it states that it usually happens whenever you are downloading an update for your payroll or opening up the form of state or government or when you are paying up your liabilities which has been scheduled.
You will see a pop up on your window and it read a message saying:
- The file you want to be opened especially cannot be opened. In this case, you have to make sure that it is not being used or opened in another program. It can also face this error because this file might be read-only.
- Or the other issue that can be faced is (windows) The File Exists.
This error is usually faced by the QuickBooks when the file opened is read incorrectly by the computer.
To clear up the error you follow the following listed instructions:
- Click on the OK button when you see the error message appeared on your screen
- After clicking the OK button you will notice the install bar is progressing, let it complete until 100% as it will let the update being installed properly.
- Once it is done you have to make sure that all latest updates are installed on the QuickBooks. If not you have to download it and install it properly.
- Once all of the above steps are completed Close the QuickBooks and restart your computer. When you will reopen you QuickBooks open it up as an
The error is known to resolve if you are using Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8, 9 or 10 but if the error still exists. You can follow an additional step to configure your firewalls for the QuickBooks or Run Reboot.bat.